Thursday, September 4, 2008

Phoney fun

Me possessing a cell phone has become a source of jokes these days. People are actually making fun of me. I'll tell why.

I have a phone since about three years. Initially, until my baby came home it was a much used device. However things changed after her. It took me a very short time to realize that my phone preferred to ring, always, mind always, when my baby was asleep. And it would most certainly, at such times, be someone I didn't really want to talk to. I almost always forgot to keep it out of the bedroom, and it would definitely start ringing once I put her to bed, strangely, any time of the day and she would wake up, and I would have to start the process all over again. I would get so frustrated. Once I started to get busy and occupied with her I got lesser and lesser time to communicate with people. So one day I just switched off the phone on impulse. It remained that way most of the days. I would just switch it on when 'I' wanted to call somebody or send a message to. People kept calling, some tried my landline, but then I hardly had time to talk anymore. Most got irritated at some point and stopped calling. I also didn't make much effort owing to my anti social behaviour! I was a devoted mom and nothing else mattered.

But now that she has grown up, has started going to school I have to keep the phone switched on. Teachers call sometimes, the pick up guy calls sometimes, so you see. No one else calls up on my cell, except family, the ones who know my landline are in touch, but I have lost the rest. Oh another thing, I recently even got myself a nice looking new phone, and a new connection too. When I gave the number to a few close friends they laughed and asked what's the use, is my phone ever switched on??? I sheepishly said yeah, these days. They didn't quite take me seriously though.

Yesterday in the morning my phone rang, hubby and daughter shouted "Yippppppppppeeeeee mama's phone is alive!"

No comments: