Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The search

The rain lashed on,
The thunder roared,
I sat with a book,
Having not read a word.

My mind drifted backwards,
To a time once known,
I saw myself wandering,
Amidst a faceless crowd alone.

I searched for something,
It was a grey stormy day,
Yet, the need to find was so strong,
I wanted to stay.

I tried to remember,
What I was looking for,
The harder I tried,
The search became more obscure.

The crowd started closing in,
I had no place to run,
I scanned carefully,
Each faceless person.

It was frustrating,
As I knew somehow, from somewhere,
I have lost that one thing, forever,
That I was so desperately looking for.

Snapshots of another time,
Mingled with the present state,
Always surrounded by faces known,
Barring the one I've let myself forget.

The thunder roared,
I sat up with a jolt,
Your memories came flooding,
From someplace long locked.

It was so long ago,
I couldn't remember your face,
The hurt still exists, deep down,
May be a little less.

We had watched the rain together,
On such a dark afternoon,
Your faceless memory still lingers,
Though you are long, long gone.

© 2009 Rituparna Das