Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The lost world

Long time ago,
Back when I was still a child,
The sky was then limitless,
And the trees a little more green.

I often wandered barefoot,
Without so much care.
That the grass smells different,
At the wee hours of the night,
It was then that I learnt this ,
And I still remember.
How the first raindrop of the season,
Tastes a bit like rust,
I used to wait every year,
It still lingers in my blood.
The smell of sunlight,
On a winter afternoon,
How I hugged it close to me,
And buried my nose,
In the sundried, clean, crisp,
Freshly washed clothes.
I had my troubles then,
As life is always tough,
But nature took over it all,
And made them seem alright.
I live in a city now,
And quite like it so ,
But my sky has become smaller,
And trees have a greyish coat,
Sunlight is still as bright,
But it has no fragrance ,
It still rains as you know,
But my tastes have changed,
My troubles have become larger,
Than the city itself.
© 2009 Rituparna Das