Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Blue inebriation

I sat for a long time,
Gazing intensely
At the flickering,
Blue fairy lights,
As if moving in and out,
Of an illusion,
Consisting of myriad
Dreams and happenings.
I got caught,
In a magic spell,
Cast on me,
By the memories
Of a long back love.
I sat rooted,
Almost believing,
That if I moved,
Or batted my eyelashes,
The blue light fairies
Would vanish,
Taking with them,

The dull residual longing,
That they managed to sharpen

Into tiny pin pricks right then.
Yet I sat hypnotized,
Incapable of another thought.

I heard my name,
In a familiar voice,
Suspended somewhere.
In the blue light zone?
Or a second later,
In the dark intermission?
I could hardly tell,
I didn't care.

Am I going crazy?
I shut my eyes, on impulse.
I broke the spell.
I was parched,
My glass was empty I noticed,
I needed a refill.

© 2009 Rituparna Das