Thursday, June 4, 2009

Age of innocence

You laugh at the silliest jokes,
jumping up and down with glee,
a butterfly, a pigeon chick, a candy
every time you see
In me a secret wish lures
my pursuit of happiness perhaps would
find an easy way out a little like yours

You cry now and then,
often without a reason
And stop the very next moment
as on your tinted field of vision
possibilities galore cast their spell
I wish my troubles would see the end
this constant struggle of heaven and hell

As I watch you sleep without a single frown
Over your tired brows
my dreams fade and the nightmare grows
Weary and restless everyday
each passing night I lie awake
wondering why and I wonder how
what more is there, what more will it take

And whenever a tiny shadow of fear
clouds your sweaty little face,
you come running in my arms
for shelter and some peace
I so wish for someone too every now and then
to hold my hand and stand by me
through either shine or rain

Don't get me wrong my baby,
I don't envy you,
I wish for you and I pray 
That with time you will stay
as untouched and innocent
Never to grow dark and cynical
like I have from years spent
© 2009 Rituparna Das

No comments: